Peace lily trouble - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Pru Fox
West Alexandria
Question by PrudenceFox
I've had this peace lily for over three years. I left it in someone else's care for almost a year when I got it back the leaves were turning black. I eventually cut all the black leaves off but the new leaves are still turning dark. Does anyone know what the problem is and if I can fix it?
Thank you
Thumb of 2017-09-10/PrudenceFox/0cf18a

Name: Christine
Saugerties, NY zone 5a
A comment from Christine
Does that pot have drainage holes? The soil looks very dense and wet, I would re-pot the palm into its own pot and the peace lily into its own pot, I would use smaller pots and mix equal parts of potting soil and perlite, hope this helps

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

0

You have a Chamaedorea Palm as well as a Peace Lily in the same pot. They are not completely compatible because the Palm needs to dry out more than the Peace Lily. In addition, the pot is way too large for these plants even together. It also appears that they have not gotten enough light.

At this point, it is hard to advise you because the plants are in poor condition and their roots are pretty badly damaged. Moving them into much smaller separate pots is a possibility, but disturbing the roots is risky because of their fragile condition.

If you leave them in that pot, then move it close to a moderately sunny window and allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry before adding just enough water so that the soil reaches that same level of dryness in about a week.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"