Is Gold/Golden Joke an unregistered hybrid daylily? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Terry
Western NY (Zone 5b)
Question by FloraAdora
Each day, from early summer on, it's a pleasure to see the latest daylily blooms in the garden. I found this wonderful surprise growing between "Rocket City" and "Gold/Golden Joke" which is what a friend who gave it to me said it was called. However, I could not find a reference to "Gold Joke" in any of the data bases. Can anyone identify it for me?

Regardless, this new "baby" (Image 3) is a welcome surprise to my ever-growing daylily garden!

Thumb of 2017-09-11/FloraAdora/a631fb H. Rocket City

Thumb of 2017-09-11/FloraAdora/9807a4 H. Gold/Golden Joke

Thumb of 2017-09-11/FloraAdora/5e93ee Hybrid

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Answer from sooby

0

Some people give "garden names" to daylilies. One would hope that they wouldn't give their "garden name" to someone when giving/selling a piece of a plant but it may happen. So, is it possible it is not actually a registered daylily but a seedling or unknown daylily that someone just called "Gold Joke"?

Name: Terry
Western NY (Zone 5b)
A comment from FloraAdora
Thank you for your reply. The only references of "Golden Joke" I found on-line were mention by a garden journalist of this unregistered daylily for sale on eBay from Am. Nurs. Prod. in 2004; & for sale at a big box store several years ago.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Iris Cantina"