Rotted or dehydrated plumeria? Salvageable? - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by Luvfragrantflorist
Hi I've been trying to root a Plumeria DIVINE cutting. But with no success. It has been outside in the sun since I got it. The claws grew a little and so I kept on watering it to keep it moist. When the tiny new leaves stopped growing and turned black as if they were dying, I noticed that the cutting was soft, squishy and even more wrinkled. Any ideas on how to save it?
Thumb of 2017-09-11/Luvfragrantflorist/dbeb88

Name: Heath
sevierville TN (Zone 7a)
A comment from plantcollector
Looks dead to me. If a few inches of the tip was still firm you could have cut it and started over but it looks to late for that. I think you have to thow it to the compost pile and try again with another stem. Good luck.

Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
A comment from ctcarol
If you try again, don't water until it has roots to take up the water.

San Diego, CA
A comment from Luvfragrantflorist
So disappointed. Thanks!

Name: Andrea Reagan
Astatula, Florida (Zone 9a)
I collect seeds
A comment from Kevalsha
December 18, 2017
Plumeria cuttings need to dry off before you plant them. Say the cutting needs to grow sort of a callous for around two weeks. Then it will be ready for planting and keep the soil on the dryer side.

Name: Frank Mosher
Nova Scotia, Canada (Zone 6a)
A comment from fwmosher
December 30, 2017
I am up in Nova Scotia, where particularly right now, it is very cold. I have several Plumeria started from seed, about 8" tall. Several times I have noted distress because of my overwatering. Same with my many Desert Rose plants. Too much water, and they rot.

Answer from EmmyS

0

Looks like your plant should be in a much larger pot. Maybe 4 x larger.
I have lots of Plumarian plants, a couple over 40 years!
I had a cutting that didn't look good like that & moved it to less sun and less water and it recovered.
The plants do not like Cold. I bring mine inside from end of October & out in May since I live in the SF Bay area. In San Diego you can probably keep outside longer.
I agree to not over water and use cactus soil.

Name: Bradley Beard
Rialto,California Southwest (Zone 10a)
Just ask and I will try to answer
A comment from Mybigbro
I live in the San Bernardino County area and I have several Pluarian plants one is now over 8ft tall and I have them planted in the ground and I leave them out all year in the spring I give a good dose of fertilizer with a high phosphate level and it has bloomed from middle spring to fall

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"