What type of Kalanchoe is this? - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster ca USA
Question by gramyof6
Please help me identify my new Kalanchoe (says its A Blossfeldiana) confused 😫 - I THOUGHT it was A pink butterfly , but wondering if it may be A Mexican hat? Or other type Kalonchoe - Will this plant ever bloom? or perhaps in A different fashion? Maybe not at all- I can tell it was green.. They had it in full sun ( high temps , Thank u for your help in advance
Thumb of 2017-09-12/gramyof6/86f7da
Thumb of 2017-09-12/gramyof6/d5ac74

Name: Frenchy
Falls Church, VA (Zone 7b)
Answer from Frenchy21

1

That plant looks like a kalanchoe Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe daigremontiana). You can look it up in our plant database.

Lancaster ca USA
A comment from gramyof6
Thank you Frenchy21

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

0

It is definitely K.daigremontiana, not blossfeldiana. Mexican Hat is a common name usually applied to the one you have. Yours is unlikely to flower and if it does, the flowers are not all that pretty.

Sorry the retailer did not do a better job of labeling.

Lancaster ca USA
A comment from gramyof6
+WillC , Thank you for answering , Its definitely NOT what I had in mind.. Also found it to be poisoness to both people and animals BESIDES being known as A weed of sorts.. :/

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
A comment from WillC
I'm sure you are disappointed that you do not have a flowering variety of Kalanchoe. However, yours is an interesting plant in that it produces hundreds of tiny plantlets along the leaf edges. They will root easily if allowed to rest on a damp surface.

Many common and lovely houseplants are poisonous. One person's Orchid is someone else's weed. Try to enjoy what you have.

Lancaster ca USA
A comment from gramyof6
+WillC ,Thanks again , Im doing just that. I've already taken A few of the little rooted platelets and potted them..Ive seen pics of this plant when NOT stressed and I really like the green follage. It may take time but It will get new growth as time goes on. ☺

A comment from degrove853
November 25, 2017
I have one..looks just like this one..mine gets several feet high..millions of plantlets. They will root on concrete!

Name: Lin
East Central Florida (Zone 9b)

Answer from plantladylin

0

Hi gramyof6! I also agree that your plant is the Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe daigremontiana) Many grow them for the novelty of the tiny plantlets growing along the leaf edges but some do like the pretty blooms; this is a bloom photo from the above link to our database:

A comment from ginger67
In Australia we call it Mother of Millions and it is rated a noxious weed.

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
Answer from purpleinopp

0

All Kalanchoes bloom. The plant in question looks like this one to me:
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii')

I grow this hybrid exclusively for the attractive flowers.

The leaves of K. daigremontiana are much more wide:

Today's site banner is by nmumpton and is called "Gymnocalycium andreae"