Could Garden Kneelers be better? - Knowledgebase Question

London
Question by Dylan1234
Hi,

I am a student, currently thinking of designing a product that will help gardening for the elderly. I found that garden kneelers were quite popular. Does anyone use a garden kneeler currently? Do you think any improvements could be made? Do you ever get tired whilst using the kneeler, as I understand that it can be strenuous to support yourself in an upright position? Is it easy to get up/ sit down using them? If you were to get one, what would it need to be, Eg. would you want it to be collapsible for easy storage? would you want a seat attached? would you want any storage compartments and what for?

Thank you for the help,

Dylan

Name: Frank Mosher
Nova Scotia, Canada (Zone 6a)
A comment from fwmosher
December 9, 2017
Dylan, there are several available already, quite inexpensive. Thick green kneeling pad (about 3 inches off the ground) with two aluminium sides, allowing one to easily get up. The kneeling pad can be raised so it becomes a bench. Totally collapsible. You can see a version of same in Lee Valley catalogue, but others offer it as well. Cheers.

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
Dreams don't work unless you do.
Answer from greene

4

I have an idea that would be a good garden kneeler. If you can remember the kneeling chairs people were buying a while ago...let me find a link with a photo...
Here is a link with photo showing a foldable kneeling chair. You would need to make yours of a more weatherproof material.
https://www.target.com/p/mobil...

Since I am handicapped, when I get on the ground in a kneeling position I cannot get back up again unless I have something to pull up on, so the garden kneeler you design would need strong/sturdy handles. There could be a fabric bag on either side to hold small tools and having a mesh bottom on those bags would allow the excess soil that accumulates on tools/gloves to fall through, and of course, a carry handle would help also.

If you type 'garden kneeler' into a Google Image search you will see many flimsy steel kneelers, the pads in too narrow in both directions to be realistic. Also, the narrow base of the steel legs sinks into the ground/soil, so having 'big feet' would be helpful.

Hope this helps and I'd love to see your design as it progresses.

London
A comment from Dylan1234
What would you think of something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/8a/d... ? With modifications such as handles on wither side to get up/sit, possibly wheels for moving it around/colapsibility for storage? The folding mechanism on the one you sent looks rlly neat, I might play around with that idea... Thanx! and I'll try to post here with updates on the project

A comment from harnumagyahoocom
See gardeners.com and look at their kneeler/ seats. I just got one and it’s perfect for me; I have bad knees and the handles give me support and getting up is easy whether kneeling or sitting.

I do like the idea of having the storage pockets made with holes in the bottoms to easily shake out the debris that collects.

Name: Rj
Just S of the twin cities of M (Zone 4b)
Answer from crawgarden

2

My Mom's biggest complaint with the garden kneelers was it was very difficult to get up from kneeling. I think they to change as you age, e.g. when it becomes more difficult to move. Also think that the material should be like a memory foam which would mold to your knees or sitting.

London
A comment from Dylan1234
Thanx for the advice, do you think the handles on this product: http://www.coopersofstortford.... would be sufficient for your mum? would you suggest any improvments upon having these beams either side for assisted sitting/standing?

Name: Lauri
N Central Wash. - the dry side (Zone 5b)
A comment from lauribob
I use a kneeler similar to the one in your link Dylan. I'm no skinny Minny and those handles have held up well for me for help in standing up with my poor old knees.

London
A comment from Dylan1234
Did you get tired/did your knees start to hurt after using this style of kneeler after a while? Would you prefer this sort of style: https://cdn3.volusion.com/yyen... with some modifications?

Name: Rj
A comment from crawgarden
Looking at the latest link you posted Dylan, wondering if that chair/kneeler would be difficult to get into that position and out of for some one with decreased mobility.

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
Dreams don't work unless you do.
A comment from greene
I agree with crawgarden on this one. Speaking only for myself, there is no way I could get into or out of that kneeler. Too small, too short, to compact and nowhere near sturdy enough. I do like the color green but that's about it.

Name: stone
near Macon Georgia (USA) (Zone 8a)
A comment from stone
I like that picture a lot!

But.... I can't imagine that anyone could get any gardening done....
Seems like balance would be a real concern... Also... Who's gonna carry it out to the garden?

I don't use knealers, but.... Some decent knee pads might be worth considering...

Also.... Wrist and elbow support....

Name: stone
near Macon Georgia (USA) (Zone 8a)
A comment from stone
Also...
what about back support that doesn't hurt stomach and ribs?

London
Answer from Dylan1234

0

Do you find that your back/core muscles begin to ache after using a garden kneeler for extended periods of time, like along the red lines in the following photo?:
Thumb of 2017-10-12/Dylan1234/7630d0

Name: Meri Taylor
SD (Zone 4b)
A comment from mnmat
I also use that type of kneeler and after trying several different kinds I love it. No, I don't get tired from bending. Another thing, someone mentioned side pockets for tools etc but when I'm moving to another spot I grab one side and kind of swing it while walking. I'm afraid the pockets would strew my stuff along behind me.

Name: Frank Mosher
Nova Scotia, Canada (Zone 6a)
Answer from fwmosher
December 30, 2017

0

Dylan, I would be quite apprehensive about using your "bench" in one of your latest postings, purely on balance issues and ease of using same. The design forces one to be continually in a forward-leaning position, without the ability to kneel back up straight to stretch one's back. Others have mentioned the same.

Success,Arkansas Northeast Reg
Answer from Mybigbro

0

I use my wheelchair when I am Gardening because my legs tend to get weak as the day goes on. I have one of the garden seats with 4 wheels and a tractor seat and it works pretty good but even though the front wheels turn it is a hard thing to do because the steering column is just a straight upright bar and the whole unit is a little low to the ground and a little short in length if you can design a similar product that is bigger in h/wt / l with a steering column made in a t bar style that I believe would be great

Name: Missy Whitehead
North Florida (Zone 9a)
North Florida
Answer from melissawh
November 4, 2017

-1

Dylan, I think the chair/kneeler is very clever. As I was reading all the comments and not clicking on the links I was actually envisioning something like you are proposing as I have a rocking "seat" that I use separately from my kneeling pad and knee braces. I always end up going from my rocking seat to the ground on my knees after awhile. And when just using my knee pad and knee braces I always wish I could sit backwards onto a stool of sorts.

So I'd have to try that new fangled invention to see if it is manageable. Surely you've got some ol folks to try it on. And P.S. next picture have the gal wearing socks and garden clogs or sneakers. Something not right about flip flops in the garden. :)

Today's site banner is by nmumpton and is called "Gymnocalycium andreae"