Poor Draining Soil - Knowledgebase Question

Marlton, NJ
Question by tmazak
My yard has very poor draining soil. There is a deep layer of clay just below the top soil. What plants can I use that will survive this drainage set up. I want to plant some trees for privacy as well as bushes. The soil stays very moist after a rain for as long as 3 days. I would like some plants that could help sop-up some of that water or at least be able to live in it.

0

You might consider some of the trees and shrubs that pefer a moister location and tolerate clay soil such as river birch, red maple, shrub dogwoods, red chokeberry (aronia), deciduous winterberry hollies, and itea. These would make a lovely informal screen.