Moving A Flowering Almond Shrub - Knowledgebase Question

N. Tonawanda, NY
Question by rscsmc782
I live in the Western New York State area, zone 6. I would like to move a flowering almond shrub and I need to know the best time to move it. Should I move it before or after flowering? I originally planted it last spring so it is a young shrub.

0

Usually, the best time to move a shrub is in very early spring or in early fall. This timing allows the plant an opportunity to grow new roots before the hot summer weather hits. Since it is newly planted you should be able to take almost all of the roots when you move it, so you could still move it this spring. Be careful to water it well the day before you dig it, dig and replant immediately, and then water it well after replanting. Then treat it as you would a newly planted shrub, keeping a careful eye on the watering.