Growing Bougainvillea - Knowledgebase Question

Concord, CA
Question by AIROS
Will you please tell me what kind of weather a bougainvillea needs to grow? I live in Concord California. I planted twice but the plants die after six months.

0

Bougainvillea needs a slightly warmer winter than you experience, but you can still grow them if you give them extra care. Plant in a container and place against a south or west-facing wall where reflected heat will encourage bloom. In the winter move the pot to an area protected from cold winds and frost - under a patio roof if possible. In the spring, when the weather warms, take the plant back out into the garden. After 2-3 years the plant will be mature enough to stand cold weather without permanent damage.