Difficulty Getting Lavender Seeds To Germinate - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, NC
Question by shancock9
I purchased a package (Burpee) of the so-called "true" lavender seeds (sold as an herb). I realize that lavender seeds require stratification; a number of resources have suggested refrigeration from one week to a month to several months. I chilled my seeds for three weeks; it's been three weeks since they've been out of the refrigerator (at room temperature)...still no germination. I grow many annuals and perennials from seed and am usually successful...this experience defies me.

0

Did you place the seeds in moist seed-starting mix before you refrigerated them? Most guidebooks recommend this, rather than simply placing the seed packet in the 'fridge. Germinate commonly takes two to three weeks (or more) so I suggest you wait a little longer. Keep the pots moist. Also, the seeds should not be buried deeply but barely covered with soil. If you sowed them deeper that could delay germination.

If you feel the seed is not up to quality, please contact Burpee's customer service department about getting a replacement packet. (burpeecs@surfnetwork.net or 1-800-333-5808)

I hope this helps.