Transplanting Poppies And Peonies - Knowledgebase Question

Hyde Park, NY
Question by kessler690
I have some poppies and peonies that used to be in the sun, but are now growing in shade. I'd like to transplant them this season. I know they don't like to move, but they must go to a sunnier place. Any tips for the move? Can I move them early this spring?

0

Peonies are traditionally moved in the fall, but they can also be moved in very early spring, although this will sacrifice the current year's bloom. Oriental poppies are best moved when they are dormant in midsummer; you may find it easier to move root cuttings than to try to move the entire plant, as the tap roots tend to break apart when you dig the plants. Moving poppies when they are in active growth is usually fatal to the poppies.