Planting Washingtonia Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Martinez, GA
Question by TCRCH98
We just bought a Washingtonia Palm in Jacksonville, and brought it up here to Augusta, GA. I need to know what type of soil, light, watering, how big this bad boy will get, etc. I have been unable to find anything more than a few general tips on it. Thank you for your help.

0

Washingtonia palm, or Washington fan palm, can grow to a height of 30 to 60 feet, so plan accordingly! The best time to transplant is during a warm, rainy spell. You can follow general tree-planting guidelines with one exception: palms can be planted slightly deeper than they were planted at the nursery, because they can form roots along the buried portion of the trunk. Choose a spot in full sun; palms are not too fussy about soil as long as it is very well drained. Be sure to stake the plant after planting -- you'll see that the roots systems are surprisingly small for such large plants. Take care not to injure the trunk when securing it to the stake.

New transplants should be fed monthly between May and August to help them get established. Water during dry spells.

I hope this helps get you started!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"