|Is any part of the birdhouse gourd and its vine toxic to dogs? I would like to grow the vines on our kennel if it is safe for our puppy who chews on everything. Please advise. Thank You.|
|I have never heard anything about gourd plants, or any other member of the squash family, being poisonous. I suspect that even a non-poisonous plant, if eaten in excess, could cause stomach problems. But most squash family plants have prickly leaves and stems, so I suspect that after one bite your puppy will avoid the plant. Here are two sites that list poisonous plants.
One thing I noticed with my dog is he liked to be able to see what was going on around him, so I suggest you not let the vine obscure your puppy's vision too much. (He went a little nutty one time when he was in the car and a heavy snowstorm obscured the windows.)