Non Producing Eggplant - Knowledgebase Question

Fayette City, PA
Question by linx1
Can you please tell me the average number of fruits the egg plant produces? And, why a plant may not produce. Do you have to cut the bush to produce more eggplant? I would appreciate any information on this matter.

0

One plant might produce about five fruits, although this will depend on the variety and the growing conditions. Planting them too early before the soil has warmed, lack of fertility and water stress would all contribute to poor production. These plants need full sun, a warm soil and a warm season (65 degree minimum at night to set fruit) to produce well and would generally be cared for the same way you would care for tomatoes. That means a rich soil that is kept evenly moist but not soggy and frequent side dressings of compost and/or well rotted manure and/or complete fertilizer to keep the plants producing. The fruit should be picked promptly by cutting it off the plant. This will encourage remaining fruit to develop well. Onc ethe weather begins to cool in the fall, the plants stop producing.