Holly Species - Knowledgebase Question

Fairview Heights, IL
Question by sbehl
I have planted "Blue Girl Hollies" and "Blue Boy Hollies" about a year ago. Now I want to add more hollies to my landscaping and can't find the same species anymore. However, I did find a "Blue Princess Holly" and a "Blue Stallion Holly" species. Are these the same "Girl" and "Princess" and "Boy" and "Stallion"? OR Should I care about species? I just want all the hollies to look the same.

0

You've listed most of the Meserve Hybrid Holly cultivars. They have similar parentage, but slightly different traits. Blue Boy has a shrubby habit, growing 10'-15' at maturity, and dark green foliage. Blue Girl is a female with red berries but otherwise resembles Blue Boy. Blue Princess is an improved Blue Girl with darker and more abundant fruit and darker bluish green foliage. Blue Stallion is a male with purplish stems and foliage without spines. If you have a choice, the Blue Princess is the closest match to your existing Blue Girl and Blue Boy. Since you already have a male holly, you don't need the Blue Stallion for fruit production.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"