No Flowers On Bradford Pear This Spring - Knowledgebase Question

Northumberland, PA
Question by mbaran
Can you tell me why my Bradford Pear tree had no blossoms the last two springs and if there is anything I can do to make them have blossoms next spring?

0

It is unusual to have a Bradford Pear that would fail to flower, but here are some possibilities. One is that it is in a cold and windy location or in a frost pocket where cold air settles and thus the buds are frozen out. Another is that the tree is not doing well overall and the lack of flowers is a reflection of this. If the tree is not vigorous it may be that it needs more sun or more nutrients or has failed to root into the native soil or is stressed by an insect or disease problem. If you suspect any of these you might want to consult with your county extension (644-4455) or a professionally trained arborist. Finally, the trees do bloom better as they mature, so a very young tree might only bloom lightly.