Verbena Bonariensis - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Vicki Sadler
Falmouth, IN
Question by lysadler
Finally I found the plant I've searched for over two years! I purchased seed packets only to find out that it is recommended that the seeds be started indoors. I have NEVER had any luck with indoor seed starting. Do you also recommend I start them indoors? I noticed you offer the plants. I'm so excited. Thanks for getting back to me soon as I need to get started planting soon (Zone 5).

0

These seeds (Verbena bonariensis) should germinate within two weeks at a soil temperature of about 68 degrees. Since the soil temperature is usually a bit below room temperature, you might use some gentle bottom heat to maintain that extra warmth. This plant will self seed in the garden if the seeds fall on old decomposed mulch or a similar seedbed, so you could certainly try direct seeding. However, the plants grow best in warm weather and need to reach a certain maturity before they begin blooming, so starting them indoors will give them a head start. In milder winter areas such as zone 7 and warmer, this plant is a perennial. In a cooler area they may not begin to bloom until late summer.