Pink Hydrangea Care - Knowledgebase Question

Madison Heights, MI
Question by clements_99
I am interested in finding out how to care for a pink hydrangea. Specifically, I have bought a potted plant and I would like to include it into my garden. I would like to know when to plant it and in what kind of conditions.

0

Sounds as though you have a Florist's hydrangea. (Hydrangea macrophylla, or big leaf hydrangea). You can plant it now and leave it in the ground all year 'round. Plant in a partially shady spot, with at least some protection from hot afternoon sunshine. Prepare the planting hole by digging one slightly larger than the pot your plant is in. Loosen the soil, then lay the pot on its side and gently remove the plant. You may have to tap the sides and bottom of the pot to coax the plant out. If the roots are spiraling around, straighten them out so they'll grow out instead of around in a circle. Plant at the same level it was growing in the pot and firm the soil all around the roots. Then water well to exclude any air pockets around the roots.

Hydrangeas produce blossoms on new shoots that grow from the previous year's wood. If you prune carefully after the blooms are spent, taking one-third to one-half of the old wood, new flowering shoots will appear the following spring. Plant in rich, porous soil (amend with compost or peat moss to retain just the right amount of moisture), and mulch the root zone to help suppress weeds. Hydrangeas are fast growing shrubs. Prune the flowering stems back to the ground each year to make room for new stems that will produce flowers.