Caring For Kimberly Queen And Macho Fern - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Garden Friend
Williston, TN
Question by twinangus
I recently purchased Kimberly Queens and Macho Ferns. They had tags that said tropical plants. I want to plant them outside. Will they tolerate sun?

0

Macho Fern (Nephrolepis biserrata) is hardy in USDA Zones 9-10. You may be able to bring it indoors for the winter. Instead of direct planting outdoors, you might want to simply sink the pot into the ground. That way, come fall, you can remove the pot without disturbing the roots. This plant prefers partial sun to shade. It is a 3-4', evergreen, tropical fern with medium green, toothed, arching leaves, and is a fast grower.

Australian Sword Fern (Nephrolepis obliterata 'Kimberly Queen' ) is hardy in zones 6-9. It prefers partial shade. It grows to a height of 2-3', with darker green leaves than Boston Fern. It spreads rapidly.