Growing Calla Lilies - Knowledgebase Question

Omaha, NE
Question by cpudy
When you use the term "bulb" approximately how many flowers does that produce? 3? 6? 10? I was looking at Calla Lillies for example and am not sure how big the plant will be and how many bulbs I would need.

0

Calla lilies grow from rhizomes (sometimes referred to as bulbs) that should be planted 4-6 inches deep and 1-2 feet apart. You can expect multiple blooms from each plant, but I'd only be guessing if I gave you an exact number. The plants grow from 1 1/2' to 2' tall under ideal conditions. Calla lilies should perform well in your garden, especially if they're planted in a shady bed (morning sun is okay, but afternoon shade is a must), in rich, moist soil. Calla's thrive on heavy watering so soak the soil every few days to keep it moist. Don't cut the foliage back, but let it yellow on its own. Callas go into a dormant period after blooming so if you water less frequently beginning late summer, the foliage will die back and the roots can rest. New shoots will develop from the crowns of the plants when they've finished resting.

The easiest way to feed your calla's is to mulch the plants with 1"-2" of aged-compost. As the organic matter decomposes, it will provide nutrients to your plants.

Hope the above general information will help you determine how many calla's to plant to achieve the effect you want in your garden.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"