Weeping Higan Cherry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Marie
Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
Question by msusa01
I recently bought a Double Weep Higan Cherry Prunus subhirtella "Pendula Plena Rosea" tree. Do you have any information on this tree -- how am I to care for it, how tall does it get? I would appreciate any information you have. I
live on Long Island, New York (Zone 6).

0

According to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", the P. subhirtella cherries are some of the most cold, heat and stress tolerant of the ornamental cherries. They also grow relatively quickly. This particular tree is also called "Yae-shidare-Higan" and grows to about 10 to 15 feet high and wide. It should be planted in a full sun location with a good soil that is ideally evenly moist yet well drained, meaning not soggy. You may need to prune it while young to develop a balanced framework of branches, and be sure to remove any sprouts along the lower trunk. Protect the lower trunk from rodent and weed whacker damage, and be on the lookout for borer or other insect infestations. Enjoy your beautiful tree!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"