Japanese Cherry Tree Dying - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Allen, VA
Question by vernecw
I have a Japanese Cherry tree that is about 10 years old. On several branches, the leaves are wilting and dying. Parts of the trunk have areas that are split open and are black inside. What is causing this, and how do I stop the tree from dying?

0

Unfortunately, cherries are frequently not very long lived because they are subject to so many insect and disease problems. Based on your description, it sounds like your tree may be suffering from several problems at once. You might wish to consult with a professionally trained arborist or possibly with your county extension (798-5924) about your tree, to see if it is treatable. I'm sorry.