Small Bean Size - Knowledgebase Question

Yuma, AZ
Question by boopz8
I planted three rows of bush beans. The plants themselves are green and healthy looking. However, they are producing beans that only grow to 2-4" long. If I leave them on the plant, they only get tough, not longer. What can I do to have nice long beans?

0

In low desert conditions, it's important to make sure that the soil is consistently moist (not wet) so that the plant isn't stressed for water. Use a 2-3 inch layer of mulch to help maintain soil moisture. Water slowly and deeply to a depth of about 12 inches for mature plants. Since your plants are green and healthy, it sounds as if the soil has sufficient nitrogen. You might want to scratch a phosphorous source into the soil to the side of the plants. Bone meal is an organic source of phosphorous. I hope this helps!