Filling In Asparagus Bed With Another Type - Knowledgebase Question

Bedford, MA
Question by nhaynes
I planted Jersey Giant asparagus in '98, but some never came up. I want to fill the empty spaces, and I wonder what would happen if I used Burpee's new Purple Passion. Would each strain keep its identity, or would they cross pollinate and produce something less desirable?

0

Jersey Giant is supposed to be all male so it would not set seed in any case. In general, cross pollination would not be a problem as long as you deadhead the plants and prevent any berries from forming or falling and subsequently germinating to start new plants. Your asparagus should not be allowed to do that anyway because seed formation costs the plants energy that is better directed to the crowns.