How To Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Myrtle Creek, OR
Question by minnie9
My husband is digging the rows to plant the seeds,however he wants to plant the seeds on top of the mounds of dirt instead of in the trenches(rows) he is digging. So the plants will be on top of the mounds instead of coming straight out of the flat ground. Will this work? I don't think it will as I beleive the seedlings at some point will just slide down the mounds. Any advice?

0

What you describe isn't unusual at all! Many gardeners prepare a vegetable garden by digging trenches (for water) and mounding soil up along the trenches for the plants. When seedlings begin to grow their roots will reach down toward the source of water, effectively anchoring each plant in the mound of soil. To water, simply flood the trenches. The soil will absorb the water, and provide moisture to the roots of the plants. Hope this clarifies things for you!