Cats In Flower Beds - Knowledgebase Question

Winnipeg, MB
Question by rlturner
I am having lots of trouble with cats using my flower beds as a litter box. What can I use to keep them out that will not harm my flowers?

0

Apart from building a cage around your garden, you may have to experiment a bit until you find something that works on this particular cat. Some gardeners report success using a variety of deterrents to make the garden less attractive to cats. One is to scatter thorny branches (such as rose trimmings) over the surface, another is to spread a layer of wire mesh such as chicken wire over or just under the mulch to make digging impossible, another is to use a repellent spray applied to the garden (there are commercial varieties intended to repel cats or you can make your own concoction with garlic or pepper or both), yet another is to use the "predator urines" packaged for garden use. Finally, some gardeners report that a pet dog is the most effective deterrent they have tried.

Whatever your approach, I wish you success!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"