Sinocalycanthus Chinensis - Knowledgebase Question

Seneca, SC
Question by catlvr451
I recently received a shrub/tree labeled sinocalycanthus chinensis, or Chinese Spice Tree, and I need growing information about it. I cannot locate it in any of the places I have looked. Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

0

The culture for your plant is the same as for Calycanthus floridus (Carolina Allspice). Provide full sun to part shade, average garden soil, and regular water during the growing season. Your Sinocalycanthus will lose its leaves in the wintertime, but will develop new leaves in the spring, along with fragrant 2" wide white flowers. When the blooms are spent, brownish, pear-shaped capsules will develop. These are fragrant when crushed and are used as a seasoning for food. Expect your plant to reach 10' high at maturity.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"