Insects Eating Holes In My Flower Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Troy, MI
Question by dsiesel
I put diatomaceous earth on my flowers to get rid of the bugs that are eating holes in my zinnia, convolvus and marigolds. But it didn't seem to faze them a bit. The bugs don't seem to be bothering the tomatoes or squash. I don't see any bugs during the day. I know it's not rabbits because the flowers are fenced in. Please tell what I can do to kill them.

0

Without actually seeing them, it's hard to know what might be feasting on your plants, but I'll guess it's night-feeding slugs or snails. Diatomaceous earth will provide some measure of control if you sprinkle it on the soil around the stems of your flowers. Use a thick band so the crawling critters have to travel through at least an inch of the stuff. Diatomaceous earth is the ground up fossilized remains of water-dwelling creatures. The powdered product annoys slugs and snails because it dries up their natural secretions. Hope this helps solve the problem with your plants!