Gerberas Dying - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, NV
Question by mhannifin
I planted gerber daisies in two separate sunny locations. They get plenty of water but the leaves are dried up and crisp. Is it the location, or the watering that's wrong?

0

Gerbera jamesonii or Transvaal daisy is native to South Africa. Gerbera's thrive in full sun (but appreciate shade during hot afternoons) and rich soil with excellent drainage. They prefer a thorough watering and then dry soil, followed by a flooding again. The plants need frequent feeding during the growing season and will produce new leaves and flowers if the old leaves and flowers are pinched off regularly.

Gerbera daisies are fussy about watering. Try not to splash water on the crown of the plant. Gerbera daisies like the nightime temperature to be about 60F degrees, and the daytime temperature about 75F. The plant will take full morning sunshine, but appreciates some afternoon shade. You may have a new species, but I suspect that the growing conditions are not quite what your plants require. Try giving some afternoon shade and feeding a little more often.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"