Tropical Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Madera, CA
Question by sylz
I am looking for two specific plants that grows everywhere in my home country but so hard to find here, especially because I don't know the Latin name (?)
The first one is like a plumeria tree but its flowers are white with vibrant yellow center and the petals are rounder.
(it maybe plumeria, but what kind?)

The other is called flamboyant tree (I tried to search with this common name but got no result). Do you know the 'alternate' common name or the latin name of this plant?
Will it grow outdoor (hardy) here in Central California (San Joaquin Valley)? Or do I have to pot it?

Thanks.

0

Your flamboyant tree is Delonix regia, also called peacock flower tree. The flowers are bright scarlet in color, and 3"-4" across. It's extremely frost-tender and will have to be grown indoors during the winter months.

Plumeria obtusa, also known as Singapore Plumeria has fragrant white flowers with yellow centers and dark green leaves 6" long and 2" wide. Compared to 16" long leaves of the more commonly grown Plumeria rubra, I'll bet the plant you're looking for is Plumeria obtusa. It's very tender and will need protection from autumn through spring, so it would be best grown as a container plant in your gardening region.