Rooting Rosemary - Knowledgebase Question

Bryn Mawr, PA
Question by mpepper
I have a lovely rosemary bush that I would like to start some new plants from. Where is the best place to cut the stem? Should I use root hormones? Should I plant the new cuttings in rooting medium?

0

Rosemary roots nicely from early summer and midsummer tip cuttings about four to six inches long. Try to use a shoot that is not blooming. Remove the lower leaves, dip the end in rooting hormone and stick it into a barely dampened soilless potting mix. Cover with a clear plastic bag or a clear dome to maintain humidity and set it in a bright spot out of direct sun. Check for roots periodically and remove the cover to allow fresh air in every day or so.