Poet's Jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

West Linn, OR
Question by drholland
I bought 2 poet's jasmine (evergreen) plants and planted them on either side of an arbor. How should I help them to grow up the posts? Also, should they be trained to have only one trunk? I read through the posts and saw a lot about pinching back. Is this necessary if it is not too big?

0

Your Poet's jasmine (Jasmine officinale) is a semi-evergreen to deciduous twining vine ith smaller flowers than J. graniflorum, but with a taller habit (up to 30'). In your gardening region it will lose some leaves but the vines will remain throughout the winter months. All jasmines need frequent pinching and shaping to control growth. I'd recommend pinching your plants back while they're young to promote additional vining stems. You can gently train the growth around the arbor by wrapping the vines loosely around the supporting structure. When the plants produce additional vining stems they'll wrap themselves in, among, and around the original stems. The more you pinch, the more flowering stems your plants will produce.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"