Pushing Out Of Soil - Knowledgebase Question

Derby, CT
Question by brntorshel
Most of my plants or seeds that have come up have all raised out of the soil. I just push them back in the soil deeper, is that normal? I push them back into the soil, is that ok? When I see wilted of dead leaves, I take them off, is that a good idea?

Also, what type of conditions do pansies like? Mine seem to wilt alot, but as soon as I water them, they come back, and can they be cut back so that they don't get so tall and fall over? I have them in pots now and considering putting them in the ground. what do you suggest? Are they perennials?

0

important in controlling any diseases that might develop and can help reduce insect problems. It also helps the plants to look tidier in the garden. In most cases you should not be seeing a lot of dead or wilting foliage during the growing season. If you are, there is probably an underlying reason such as insects or a fungal infection or either over or underwatering. Examine your plants closely for problems if you notice something amiss.

Pansies may normally brown when the weather turns hot, especially if they have grown a lot and are crowded in their pots. This is due to both heat and/or water stress. Pansies grow best in cool weather and may exhaust themselves by the time the weather turns hot. In some cases moving the pots to an area with morning sun only rather than sun all day can help them withstand the summer heat and continue blooming, or at least hold on until the cooler weather of fall when they will start blooming again. Since they look so ratty in hot weather, many gardeners treat them like cool season annuals and throw them out when they start to look bad. Cutting them back, fertilizing and making sure the soil is evenly moist but not soaking wet may help. Also be sure to keep the spent flowers removed so that the plant directs its energy to blooming rather than trying to make seed. Planting them in the ground may help since the soil will stay cooler than it would in a pot, but at the same time it is stressful for the plants to have to prodice new roots this late in the season. You mgiht try it with some and see what happens.

In my experience, pansies are best replaced at least annually, although in an ideal climate they might last a little longer. important in controlling any diseases that might develop and can help reduce insect problems. It also helps the plants to look tidier in the garden. In most cases you should not be seeing a lot of dead or wilting foliage during the growing season. If you are, there is probably an underlying reason such as insects or a fungal infection or either over or underwatering. Examine your plants closely for problems if you notice something amiss.

In my experience, pansies are best replaced at least annually, although in an ideal climate they might last a little longer.