Mammoth Squash Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Boise, ID
Question by tntbaraune
I have several squash plants in my (very small) garden. One of the plants is taking over a corner of the garden. The leaves are gigantic and enchroaching on the neighboring cucumbers. Can I trim back some of the leaves or prop them up with a trellis? Or do you have a better suggestion. Thanks.

0

Squash plants are definitely sprawlers! As you've discovered, they can take up quite a bit of room. You can train them up an "A" frame trellis, or you can pinch out the growing tips which will stop them from growing any longer. Don't pinch out the tips if you want more squash than is already on the plants - they won't develop additional blooms if the tips of the vines are pinched out. Or, you can remove a few of the leaves to keep them from shading the cukes. Cucumbers take readily to a trellis, so try growing them upwards to give your squash room to roam.

I think we've covered all the options - enjoy your harvest!