Overwintering Brugmansia - Knowledgebase Question

Madera, CA
Question by sylz
I bought a brugmansia in a one-gallon pot a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. If I plant it in the ground, mulched around it, and made a plastic teepee over it, would it survive the winter outdoors, or would it be too costly an experiment?

0

Brugmansia, commonly known as Angel's Trumpet, are cold-tender and will freeze to the ground most winters. If you mulch the roots in fall they will survive the winter and send up new sprouts. It grows very fast and will fill out in just a few weeks of spring weather. Forget the plastic teepee, though - the stems and leaves would turn to mush the first cold but sunny day!

Brugmansia loves a well-drained soil with plenty of organic matter. It is not too picky about pH, but I would suggest avoiding very acid or very alkaline conditions. If you can, give your plant full sun, although it will tolerate partial shade. Keep it well watered with a good soaking every 5 days or so. Fertilize it when growth begins in the spring and every 4 weeks through early August with a complete fertilizer.

Good luck with your Brugmansia!