Too Much Growth - Knowledgebase Question

Jamesport, NY
Question by TIMJETS99
PLANTED BEEFSTEAK TOMS THREE WEEKS AGO PLANTS ARE TWO FEET TALL, BUT THERE ARE ABOUT FIVE MAIN STALKS FOR EACH PLANT ALREADY,,SHOULD I TRIM DOWN TO ONE MAIN STEM........AM USING CAGES, GOOD SOIL AND FERTILIZER 5-10-5 WHAT SHOULD I DO (FEW FLOWERS ALREADY)

0

If you are using a good sturdy cage (eg four to six inch mesh about four feet high wrapped into a cylinder and supported by two metal "T" fence post stakes), then you could allow all of the stems to develop. Otherwise, you might remove one or possibly two of the smallest suckers; removing too much at once can shock the plant. Then remove any additional suckers that try to grow. It is not strictly necessary to prune tomatoes at all, it is more of a personal preference. Your plants should respond to the coming weeks of sunny weather with more growth; be careful not to overfertilize with nitrogen as this can encourage excess foliage at the expense of fruit.