Training Wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Arlington, VA
Question by jgbasham
How do I prune a Chinese Wisteria to grow into a small tree? Information that came with the new plant said this was possible but gave no further instructions. The plant was 3' tall at purchase in early June and is now easily 9'. It is twining around a bamboo pole I've put up to hold its rapidly growing shoots. It otherwise has nowhere else to "cling". What now?

0

You will need a sturdy stake to support it until it is thick enough to support itself on a "trunk"; when it is as tall as you want it to be, trim the tip. Keep the lower part of the vine bare, and trim the top as needed to maintain the height you want. The top will fill in, umbrella style, over time. You may allow several stems to form the trunk or keep it to just one. Either way will work.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"