Peanut Nutrients - Knowledgebase Question

Stanley, NC
Question by Tengraver
I have a beautiful crop of peanuts this year. This is the first time I've grown them and the little information I have on them says they need ample calcium in the soil to bear fruit. How should this be supplied? I used dolomitic limestone before planting.

0

Dolomitic limestone is an excellent source of calcium and magnesium. Incorporating it into the soil prior to planting should supply all the calcium your plants need. Since peanuts are legumes and capture their own nitrogen, additional fertilizers shouldn't be necessary for the remainder of the growing season.

When your plants are about 1' tall, hill the soil up around the base of each plant. Long, pointed pegs will grow from faded flowers and grow down into the hills. A peanut will form on the end of each peg. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"