Correct Name: Mush Melon - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, CO
Question by cteatonky
While recently on vacation in So. Central KY near the town of Somerset, I purchased what looked like cantaloupes, only they were called Mush Melons. I remember something called Musk Melons when I was young in Eastern KY. Is this just another name for cantaloupe?

0

Muskmelon technically refers to a large group of melons, including orange or salmon fleshed cantaloupes and netted melons as well as some other less commonly seen melons. In general, we seem to use the terms muskmelon and cantaloupe somewhat interchangeably. Muskmelon may be used locally to specifically indicate a variety with a stronger "musky" smell or taste. I think mushmelon would have the same type of locally specific usage, perhaps to indicate a variety with a softer flesh. Whatever the name, they are great melons!