What's Eating My Flowers? - Knowledgebase Question

Weymouth, MA
Question by dsmith83
Recently my poppies and dahlias look as though something is eating them, I've never seen a rabbit in my neighborhood, nor can I see bugs anywhere on the plants. What could be eating them and what can I do to make them/it stop?

0

Besides animals, there is a possibility that slugs are causing the damage. They work at night so you wouldn't see them, but they do sometimes leave silvery slime trails behind. To combat slugs, sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the soil around the plants, use commercial slug traps or saucers filled with stale beer, or hand pick them at night by flashlight and drop them into soapy or salty water. You can also use commercial slug baits, but do be sure to read and follow the label instructions carefully, especially if you have children or outdoor pets.