Freezing Tomatoes - Again - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, KY
Question by williambroc
I have a large planting of Roma Tomatoes with which I plan to make spaghetti sause. The tomatoes will ripen on the vine over a long period ( 4-6 weeks ) Instead of processing small amounts of tomatoes, I would like to save them for one or two cannings. If Roma tomatoes are laid out in the cellar for weeks, many of them will rot. Question! Is there any harm to the tomatoes flavor or food value by freezing them whole to store temporarily, without cooking first.

0

The flavor should be close to fresh but not quite as good after freezing. The texture will change to mushy. But compared to having them rot, it would seem a better alternative. With regard to nutrient value, you might want to check with your county extension (792-3026) -- they may also have suggestions about the best ways to freeze them for later processing.