Slow Growing Lettuce - Knowledgebase Question

Round Lake, IL
Question by jimbo80
Why does my leaf lettuce allways take about 90 days to grow to full size and why doesn't my head lettuce ever form a head? I have tried adding top soil, compost and fertilizer and it still grows slowly. I get about 4 -5 hours of direct sunlight a day. I hope you have an answer.

0

Lettuce does best in bright light, rich soil with a pH of about 6.0 to 6.5, and even moisture. It also needs an ample supply of nitrogen to support those leaves. You might want to run some basic soil tests and see what if anything needs to be added to your soil. Lack of heading is most often caused by high temperatures, (lettuce grows best below about 75 degreees) but can also be caused by dry soil or oddly enough an oversupply of nitrogen. Since your leaf lettuce is so slow I woudl suspect a lack of nitrogen and/or moisture as well as possibly a lack of light. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"