Yellow Baby Orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Hailey, ID
Question by spacemom3
I was given a Dendrobium orchid as a gift. It was beautiful, but I apparently overwatered it, and it died of root rot. The good news is that when I pulled it out of the pot I found that there were two babies growing off of the old dead stalk. I cut those off and put them each in their own pot of 'orchid bark'. For several months they seemed fine, but now they are about 1 1/2 inches tall and they are begining to turn yellow! I really want to save them. I water every week and use orchid food (19-31-17). It says to use every time, so I do. They are in my kitchen window and get the morning light. I am in Idaho, and it is VERY dry here. Anything you can tell me I would appreciate.

0

Dendrobiums are well adapted to growing indoors, providing you give them the best possible conditions. If yours are dropping leaves, it may indicate hot, stuffy conditions, or insufficient light. Orchids like a day temperature of about 70F during the summer and 60F during the winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Cool nights are important to the health and flowering ability of your plant. Orchids require 10-15 hours of light each day, so you may need to supplement natural light with artificial light during the winter months when the days are short. Orchids like moist soil and appreciate being misted once or twice each day. To increase humidity around the plant, place the pot on a layer of rocks in a tray of water. As the water evaporates it will provide moist, humid conditions around your plant. Try adjusting the growing environment and your orchid should recover.