Vegetable Plant Yields - Knowledgebase Question

Pomeroy, WA
Question by gobbler9
I am working on a booth for our county fair and would like to know where I could find information on the pounds of produce that can be produced from one seed, such as how many pounds of tomatoes can be harvested from one tomato plant. Our theme is 2000 a Ton of Fun and I would like to relate how much a vegetable garden can produce and maybe encourage more gardening.

0

What a great idea for a booth!

This information was actually more difficult to find than I thought it would be. I imagine that's because yields are affected by so many factors, including variety, weather, pest managment, and cultural methods.

John Jeavons, in his book "How to Grow More Vegetables" ("...than you ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine"), Tne Speed Press, Berkelely, CA, revised 1991, gives some general yield information.

tomatoes: 1.9 to 16 lbs per plant
green peppers: .2 to .8 lbs per plant
cucumbers: 1.0 to 3.6 lbs per plant
eggplant: 1.0 to 3.0 lbs per plant
pumpkins: 3.4 to 13.6 lbs per plant
zucchini: 3.0 to 9.0 lbs per plant
potatoes: .4 to 3.1 lbs per plant

It might be interesting to research the Victory Garden literature from the war years. This program encouraged people to increase home food production.

I hope this helps!