Growing 'Donut' Peaches - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Monica, CA
Question by jivejelly
I am completely addicted to a new kind of fruit in the stores this season (new to me anyway). The sticker on the fruit calls it a donut peach. They're sort of small, flat and shaped like a donut. Can I grow these peaches here in southern California?

0

You're describing 'Saturn'--a flat or peento peach. It's a soft to moderately firm, white fleshed freestone (meaning the pit separates readily from the flesh). Flavor is mild, very sweet and outstanding. The tree is very productive and tolerant to bacterial spot, a common disease.

'Saturn' ripens late June/early July in Central Calif. Peaches need a certain number of hours of chilling before they'll set flower buds. The estimated chilling requirement for Saturn is 500 hours, so it may not produce in your warm-winter gardening region. The tree is self-fruitful (doesn't require a second tree for good pollination.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"