Non-Blooming Clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Diane Cornell
Newberry, MI
Question by dcornell
My Clematis is three years old, I have two plants of different varieties, they grow well, climb well but I have never had a blossom on either of them. Any help? Thanks Diane

0

Clematis generally take several years to settle in and hit their full stride, so a little patience is probably in order. If your clematis are of different varieties, you may find that pruning practices make a difference in blooming performance since some bloom on old wood, some on new wood of the season, and some will bloom on both. Clematis need an evenly moist soil and appreciate a cool root zone. Be sure to keep them watered as needed and apply several inches of organic mulch over the root zone if you haven't already.