Splitting Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Pahoa, HI
Avatar for SeaJay9
Question by SeaJay9
I am having trouble with the Burpee "4th of July" variety tomatoe. They grow almost to maturity, then when they start to ripen, 1 or 2 splits appear in the fruit. As far as I can tell, there are no insect pests causing this. Rainfall has been scarce, so too much water is not the problem. Help!

Actually, the problem may be lack of water. Tomatoes are very dependent upon consistent soil moisture. Water slowly and deeply to a depth of about 12 inches. Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around the plants to help maintain soil moisture. Another possibility is too much direct sun. You might try protecting them from afternoon sun, if possible. I hope this info helps!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "War Horse"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.