Splitting Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Pahoa, HI
Question by SeaJay9
I am having trouble with the Burpee "4th of July" variety tomatoe. They grow almost to maturity, then when they start to ripen, 1 or 2 splits appear in the fruit. As far as I can tell, there are no insect pests causing this. Rainfall has been scarce, so too much water is not the problem. Help!

0

Actually, the problem may be lack of water. Tomatoes are very dependent upon consistent soil moisture. Water slowly and deeply to a depth of about 12 inches. Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around the plants to help maintain soil moisture. Another possibility is too much direct sun. You might try protecting them from afternoon sun, if possible. I hope this info helps!