Sweet Peas - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, CA
Question by bob215
I miss sweet peas here in Sacramento(I come from Denver). What type and planting techniques would give me that lovely fragrance here?
Thanks!

0

Sweet peas prefer to grow and bloom during the cooler spring and autumn weather, but there are two heat-resistant varieties that will perform well in your central California garden during the summer months. Try 'Galaxy' or 'Plenti-flora'. Sweet peas will need a trellis or support of some kind, full sun exposure, and quick-draining soil.

Soak the seeds for a few hours before sowing 1" deep and 1"-2" apart in prepared soil. When seedlings are 5"-6" tall, pinch out the tip to encourage branching. Water regularly (never allow soil to completely dry out), and your plants should be up and blooming in 6-8 weeks.