Blue Morning Glory - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, CA
Question by bob215
Here in Sacramento, I have seen several homes with what appear to be vines with a large, deep blue Morning Glory type of flower growing up the sides of two story buildings. They receive full sun and appear to have no pest or disease problems.
I would like to know what they are and where I might obtain seeds for them.
Thanks!

0

There's a perennial morning glory (Ipomoea acuminata) that fits the description and is especially well suited to your growing zone (actually zones 8 & 9)so I suspect that's the plant you're seeing. It's a vigorous, rapid grower, reaching 15'-30' with dark green leaves and bright blue trumpet shaped flowers. It blooms in one year from seed and grows from cuttings, division and layering of established plants.

Seeds are difficult to find, but a local nursery should carry the plants. Enjoy!