Bush Or Vining Butternut Squash - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfield, IA
Question by al612
I planted "Nicklow's Delight" Butternut squash this year because it was said by the seed company to be "semi-bush" and would save space. Instead, the vines have been just as long as vining types I've grow previously. They're basically taking over the garden.
I wonder if I got wrong or mis-labelled seeds, or if bush butternut is really a misnomer.

0

Bush butternuts do exist; for example, Burpee offers one called Butterbush that only grows to about four feet and is suggested for a three foot spacing. Nicklow's Delight us usually termed sem- vining but I think that is in comparison to the normal extreme -- the recommended spacing is usually four to six feet as opposed to the standard six to eight feet.