Strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

Oceanside, CA
Question by osminimom5
I am getting ready to build a strawberry bed. What type of soil should I add? I live in Southern California (Zone 9), which strawberries would be the best to plant? Thanks

0

and one in fall. It's important to prepare the bed well prior to planting by digging in lots of organic matter. When planting, set plants 1 1/2' to 2' feet apart in rows 4' apart. As the plants mature they will fill in, and there will still be room for the runners to root, without overcrowding. Strawberries need at least one-inch of water per week during the growing season. At the end of the season, to help prevent disease, you can mow the foliage down and remove it from the garden. Be sure to purchase only 'certified disease free' strawberry plants. Some of the most popular cultivars include 'Tri-Star', 'Quinalt', 'Hood' and 'Shuksan'.